The Transforming Gender and Society Student Conference is a cross-disciplinary conference for undergraduate and graduate students in Iowa seeking an opportunity to present original research, creative work, pedagogy, activism, and thematic pieces relating to women’s, gender, and sexuality studies. The 2020 Transforming Gender and Society will take place on Saturday, April 4, 2020 at the Memorial Union at Iowa State University.
Guidelines for Presenters
- Papers written for classes are allowed, but we encourage coordinated revisions between students and sponsors. Academic and creative excellence is key.
- Students must ask a faculty member to sponsor the paper/presentation. Acceptance to the conference will be handled both on the basis of the faculty sponsorship and abstract review by conference organizers. By sponsoring a student paper/presentation, faculty members acknowledge that the students’ work is high quality. We also assume that faculty will work closely with students to prepare their presentation.
- Students should prepare to present for 10-15 minutes. This is usually the equivalent of a 6-8 double-spaced pages. Panels will have 3-4 panelists each, which will allow time for questions and discussion within the 75 minute sessions.
- Faculty Sponsors are welcomed and encouraged, but not required, to travel with students to the conference and to serve as panel moderators.
- Presentation technology will be available in all rooms.
- Register as a Student Presenter and submit your proposal. Due by 11:59 PM, March 12, 2020. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The week prior to the conference, upload your PowerPoint presentation to our CyBox folder. Due by March 27, 2020.
Guidelines for Sponsors
- Let your student know if you will attend the conference with them, and if you are willing to act as a moderator for a session.
- If you plan to attend, register as a non-presenter and let us know about any accommodations/needs you may require, including dietary and accessibility information. Due by March 27, 2020.
- Help your student prepare for their presentation! Practice, provide feedback, etc.